Mastering delegation through effective communication
Regardless of the size of your business, one of the single most important things you can do as an entrepreneur is to delegate tasks. Besides reducing your work and saving time, it teaches you to communicate persuasively, supervise and train others, and help to expand your sphere of influence.
Check out these tips and tricks to effectively communicate tasks to another person:
- What’s in it for the person taking on a task?
- Learning a new skill
- Pizza and beer?
- Why do you feel this person is the best to take on this task?
- Let them know that you appreciate their skills and competence and how this will be perfect for the task at hand.
- Emphasize the good parts about the task:
- Will it be fun?
- Will it make the person grow and become a more valuable employee?
- Does it come with any other perks?
- Give clear directions on the expectations:
- What is the desired outcome?
- What is the deadline?
- What repercussions are there for not delivering on time?
- Avoid micro-managing the individuals taking on tasks. Give them creative freedom and let them take on ownership, of course under your guidance, assuring them you’re available as a resource. This will certainly increase the likelihood of follow through and completion.
Delegating through effective communication is an effective leadership tool. It will inspire others to participate with greater enthusiasm, complete tasks, enjoy the process and learn along the way. When you are excited, others will be too! It becomes a win-win scenario.
For more tips on Communication & Leadership, please visit The New Entrepreneurs Toastmasters Club and experience a meeting in action. Please join them as their guest and participate with no cost or obligation. They meet every Thursday at 6:10 pm. Most meetings are at The Business Link in Edmonton at 10160-103 Street. Please check the club’s website, www.NEToastmasters.com, to confirm the meeting location. The New Entrepreneurs Toastmasters Club looks forward to having you as their guest!
For a Toastmasters Club location near you, visit http://www.toastmasters.org and click on the “FIND” button in the left column.