Be sure to keep these seven tips in mind as you search for the perfect domain name for your company:
- Match, as closely as possible, your brand name or company name with your domain name. Make sure your domain name is closely associated with your business.
- Secure domain names with both the .com and .ca ending. Ideally you want both versions of your domain name. Pick one as your main website address and have the other one redirect automatically.
- Keep your domain name short, if possible. It’s getting harder and harder to do this, but it’s still worth a try.
- Easy to spell. If there is likely to be confusion about how to spell the domain name secure the misspelled variations and direct these domain names to the main website.
- Easy to pronounce. You will likely mention your domain name at networking events, in online marketing videos or in media interviews. Make sure it’s catchy!
- Being early in the alphabet still helps. This isn’t as big of a deal as it was when we relied on printed telephone directories, but there are still alphabetical website listings on the Internet.
- Could your website be misinterpreted? Think about what your domain name will look like in lower case and all as one word.
Author: Tema Frank is the host of the Frank Online Marketing Show, Canada’s only Internet radio show focused on helping Canadian businesses profit from the web. New guests and ideas every week at http://frankonlinemarketing.com/show.